Do I ever love dates! The recipe below is a power house recipe that is super healthy, healing, and super easy too!
Just a bit about the ingredients:
- Dates are good for adding natural sweetness to a wide variety of recipes. You can make a paste out of them and add to dishes or use as a spread, you can also add them to nut milks if you make them homemade to give them just a touch of sweetness. You can process them with nuts and make a delightful crust for your vegan desserts. They are a staple for those eating a raw vegan diet as well. Dates are high in antioxidants, fiber, iron, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, potassium and calcium. Medjool dates are sweetest. They are a very healing food!
- Goji Berries are unique among fruits because they contain all essential amino acids, goji berries also have the highest concentration of protein of any fruit. They are loaded with vitamin C, contain more carotenoids than any other food, have twenty-one trace minerals, and are high in fiber. Boasting 15 times the amount of iron found in spinach, as well as calcium, zinc, selenium and many other important trace minerals, This amazing little superfruit also contains natural anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal compounds and help to boost the immune system. It’s no wonder then, that in traditional Chinese medicine they are renowned for increasing strength and longevity.
- Walnuts are highest in Omega 3s of any food, and are essential for vegan diets- considered “brain food”. Good at boosting mood, great protein source, full of fiber, b vitamins and other minerals. You should add them to many of your dishes! The other seed with as many benefits is hemp seed. Eat your walnuts friends! 🙂
Goji Berry Energy Balls
These delicious homemade treats can be a quick snack or dessert. With an abundance of healthy ingredients and an easy-to-make recipe, many people in your kitchen will enjoy preparing these date balls and eating them especially.
Yield: 15 servings
- 1 1/2 cups raw walnut halves
- 1 cup soft dates, pitted (about 10 Medjool dates)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon goji berries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
Place the walnuts in a food processor fitted with the S-blade, and grind to a fine meal. Add the vanilla extract, salt, dates, and water, and process again until a sticky, uniform dough is formed. Add the goji berries and pulse until mixed. Using a tablespoon scoop out the batter by and roll between your hands until the make a nice round ball. Set the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a plate. Store the balls in the refrigerator or freezer, and serve them chilled for the most firm texture.
I’ve also tried quite a few other Energy Ball recipes and they are quite good. There are so many directions you can take them and are a great healthy snack for the whole family. They can be made into chocolate, peanut butter, carrot cake, key lime pie energy balls just to name a few. You can find some great recipes on Pinterest.