This dish is fantastic!!! I had Tofu Tacos at Wahoo’s Tacos once and had to recreate it. I’ve also been served this great cabbage salsa at restaurants and wanted to find out what was in it. It is soooooo good (especially if you are a cabbage fan!). The salsa was great on these tacos but is also great with chips. It would really be a great component of any mexican dish. You could also really top your tofu taco with any combination of veggies; olives, lettuce, tomato, avocado. The other great part of this meal is that it is super simple and full of flavor.
I like to make my own taco seasonings, and then have it on hand to spice a variety of dishes. There are many recipes online but this is the one I used: http://thenerdswife.com/homemade-taco-seasoning.html
- 3 parts chili powder
- 2 parts ground cumin
- 1 part paprika
- ½ part cayenne pepper
- 1 part dried oregano
- 1 part onion powder
- 1 part garlic powder
- 1 part salt
- ½ part black pepper
Mix all the ingredients together and use however you’d like.
I then cut the tofu into cubes (half a package), you could really make these cubes any size you desire (I like thin cubes, like pictured above). I placed them on aluminum foil, coated them with about a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkled them with the taco seasonings. I used about 1 – 2 tablespoons of the seasoning. You may want more or less for your taste.
Then I broiled the tofu for 10 minutes (this is the key to delicious tofu, broil it), you may need longer depending on the crispiness you desire. Just be sure not to overdo the tofu and dry it out. Flip the tofu at least once for even cooking.
While the tofu was cooking I assembled the cabbage salsa:
- 1 head green cabbage (red cabbage would also work), shredded
- 4 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- 2, 4oz cans chopped jalapenos w/ juice (finely chopped)
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- I also added a sprinkle of the taco seasonings I just made, about a teaspoon
Toss veggies and herbs, lime juice and toss again. Add seasonings, careful to taste and not over salt. Let stand 10 mins and enjoy! This recipe also turns out great when you half it, store leftovers in a glass jar.
- 1 can black beans, drained well
- 2 oven roasted peppers (pictured above), broil them until black on most sides, allow to cool, peel, rinse, coarsely chopped
- Juice of a lime (a few teaspoons, to taste)
- Touch of olive oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste (optional)
Mix all ingredients together. This can be served warm or cold and is great as leftovers the next day.
Assemble the tofu taco as you would any taco, plate the other ingredients and enjoy!!! This dish will easily serve two with leftovers for the next day. 🙂