A lot of people I know seem to struggle with the question, what do I want to do with my life? My problem is that I have too many passions and interests (most of them volunteer or non-money making types of career paths). So, I am at a point in life where I am trying to decide what my next step is. I’m trying to use my intuition and see how things flow, which works pretty well. I recently took a class with the fabulous JL Fields of JL Goes Vegan recently and she gave me some wonderful tips. She has a background in education and has helped many people as a career coach. I wanted to share these ideas with readers because they may help you as well.
You CAN become a student of your hobbies and turn your passions into a career (if you would like some inspiration head over to her blog given above and see all the neat things she is up to; writing books, traveling, cooking, teaching classes, spreading the vegan message, on and on)!!
Some questions you should ask yourself to start with:
- What do you love? Make a list.
- What are you good at? Make a list.
- Look at the two above questions; How can you combine what you love and what you are good at into your career and future?
- Ask yourself… What do I know? What knowledge and skills can I share?
- Find a place where you can be yourself and go where you can be promoted and encouraged.
- Do what feels comfortable.
- Focus on what you love and are good at.
After you have thought about the above, what to think about next:
- How can you make money doing what you love and what you are good at?
- How can you draw on the skills you already have?
- Where do you want to be and what time of life would you like?
- Can you make multiple streams of income?
- Why/ What things aren’t working currently?
- Build a plan!
- Do a business plan and budget every year.
- Be nimble and flexible.
- Try to focus if you have too many interests.
- When you meet with people and network be sure to give something back!
- Give, Give, Give- continue to give, it will come back to you!
- Promote others before you promote yourself.
- Finally; Teach, Strategize, Fundraise, Plan, Plan, Plan.
Hope these tips help, Have Fun and Good Luck!